Hello and welcome back to the Wild Atlantic Bake Off . It’s week three, believe it or not! This week I put an Instagram poll up asking my followers to decide on what to bake and this week Key Lime Pie came out a winner.
This recipe is simple and is very easy to follow. There are a few parts which are time consuming, like zesting limes (there HAS to be an easier way!) but the end result is worth it!
- 300g Hob Nobs (I like to mix about 1/3 of a pack of ginger biscuits in here for a bit of heat, but it’s up to you what you like in your base!)
- 150g butter, melted
- 1 x 397g can condensed milk (I used ALDI brand)
- 3 medium sized egg yolks
- finely grated zest and juice of 4 limes – the fresher the limes the better
- 300ml double cream
- extra lime zest and/or grated dark chocolate to decorate
- STEP 1 Heat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
- STEP 2 Whiz 300g Hob Nobs to crumbs in a food processor – for me this makes the mixture more pliable when shaping it into the pie tin for an edged crust. If the crumbs are too chunky they are not as easy to shape.
- STEP 3 Mix with 150g melted butter and press into the base and up the sides of a 22cm loose-based tart tin (I use one with a removable bottom – makes it easy to push the pie out from the tin.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and cool.
- STEP 4 Put 3 medium egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk for a minute with electric beaters.
- STEP 5 Add a can of condensed milk and whisk for 3 minutes, then add the finely grated zest and juice of 4 limes and whisk again for 3 minutes.
- STEP 6 Pour the filling into the cooled base then put back in the oven for 15 minutes. Cool then chill for at least 3 hours or overnight if you like. When you are ready to serve, carefully remove the pie from the tin and put on a serving plate.
- STEP 7 To decorate, softly whip together 300ml double cream and 1 tbsp icing sugar.
- STEP 8 Dollop or pipe the cream onto the top of the pie and finish with extra lime zest or chocolate flakes.